Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sorry for the long hiatus. I didnt really post up any blog for the past 2 months. Kinda slack lately. Clinic has been extremely busy for the past 2 weeks. I had quite a few of hospitalization cases as well. I have a weird and mysterious case that puzzled me until now though the patient has already been discharged. I got no idea what's happening with this dog. It's a case of a 2 year-old intact male rottwailer presented to me with the complaint of inappetance and unable to walk for 2 days. No history of trauma as such.Physical examination was done. The dog was bright and alert, temperature normal, on sternal recumbency, unable to bear weight on both frontlimbs, CP negative and knuckle for both front limbs, painful both shoulder joint, postive for superficial and deep pain and hyperesthesia along the thoracolumbar region as well as the muscle of both hind limbs.Blood profile showed BUN,CREA and PHOS(kidney parameters) were all elevated by 2 times. X-ray of pelvis and spine showed non significant findings.My differential for this case were poisoning, polymyositis and immunemediated disease.
The dog was immediately hospitalised and put on 0.9% NaCl for 6 days to flush off the toxin in the body. The kidney profiles reduced back to normal after 6 days of drips. But unfortunately he is still unable to walk. To rule out immunemediated disease and polymyositis I started off this dog with prednisolone(steroids).After 3 days of prednisolone the dog shows some improvement on the hindlimbs but still unable to bear weight on the frontlimbs. The dog was discharged today with 1 week of prednisolone. I am praying that the dog will get better and start to walk after 1 week. Still remain puzzle of what's actually wrong with this dog. Any comment?Here's the picture of the rotty.




1 comment:

MissCow said...

Hi... Charity here, dont know if you remember me. I love your blog. I think it is so cool to be a vet and treat animals, even more so when it takes real skill to reach the diagnosis in a "silent" patient!

This is a very interesting case, but sad to say i cant help the poor fella.... hope he's better by now.